Monday 26 August 2013

Not A Bad Word to Say About MASH


I'm not usually as much of a socialite but the last couple of weeks have turned out to be quite busy. Drinks and food have flowed and I've been having way too much fun. I am back on my "not a diet, diet" as of tomorrow.

Thursday night was an absolute delight. The WTF gang and our lovely clients HBO ascended on MASH (Modern American Steak House) in Soho for drinks and more importantly, dinner. MASH is not long opened and is based in the old Titanic Restaurant on Brewer Street. It's luxurious and opulent from the moment you ascend the long spiral staircase. It was fairly quiet at 6pm so we were able to have a couple of drinks in the bar before being seated in our private room.

The drinks list is extensive to put it lightly, with a huge amount of cocktails. We did a good job of trying nearly all of them between us. Some were winners and some left us trying to sniff out any sign of what might be in the glass/tankard/flute. On the other hand Mikey and Neil were kept happy with over 20 types of rum, from various places and various ages.

The room we'd hired was the perfect size for 12 people but could fit up to 16 comfortably. We had a designated server whose manner and knowledge were spot on. He knew all there was to know about the food and was happy to help with any questions we had. We certainly needed some guidance on the wine list, which went on for pages and pages (and pages). My favourite tipple was by far the Malbec we had with our steak.

The group ate from a set menu, which consisted of 4 starters to share, a choice of 3 steaks and a choice of 3 desserts. Every single morsel of food I ate was gorgeous. I went for the American Ribeye 300g which was an absolute beast of a portion. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't finish it. Maybe it was all the wine? I had mine medium, and it was cooked to perfection. Exactly to my taste. If you want steak cooked your way, go to MASH, as every single guest was impressed with what they had and how it was cooked. The sides accompanied the steaks perfectly. Gorgeous mash potato and bacon, creamy spinch, golden fries and salad were available in abundance. No one could have asked for anything more, and by the time dessert arrived (a good break between mains and dessert was much appreciated) we all groaned at the thought of any more food. Saying that, we still managed to tuck into cheesecakes and meringues. I think it's called a second wind. 

The double doors into the room were constantly left open, so whilst we had the pleasure of dining exclusively with our guests, we didn't feel shut out and could still enjoy the buzz of the restaurant. The room is airy and spacious and with a fully mirrored wall at one end feels huge. With a minimum spend of £1500 (for the room) it's not a cheap option, but with a few magnums of wine and champagne you'll soon ramp up the spend.

Not to say that this is a really expensive restaurant, it's just the way we decided to do it. I would love to visit again with friends or Al and see another side to it and give the rest of the menu a try. I wonder if they do a burger?! And I've also got to find out the name of the Malbec we had.

This is another hit in the heart of Soho. One I am happy to recommend. As ever, if you decide to give it a try, let me know. 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment